Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A Helping Hand Will Go A long Way

I got off of work at the 4:30 PM and waited for my ride as usual yesterday. Tired as hell I managed to get through the day without falling asleep at my desk. As I got into the car I was too drained to even speak to my boyfriend, he too was also very tired and grumpy. Not saying very much to each other, I sat there trying to concentrate on staying awake and he, trying to concentrate on driving. The weather was so hot out, the AC in our vehicle did not work and rolling down the windows did not help. Traffic going home from downtown Calgary was horrible, sweat almost dripping from our temples and our back moist with perspiration; I didn't even want to think how long a ways we got to drive.
As we got to 68th and stopped at a red light I saw this homeless man holding up a sign which read "hungry and homeless, please help", walking up and down the road beside the stopped cars. He didn't ask for money, all he wanted was any kind of help; people rolled up their windows as he walked by, others looked at him and pretend not to see him. He was standing there in the scorching sun, looking parched as ever, seeing that broke my heart and I was not about to become one of those people. I took out my dinner which I had bought an hour earlier and hand it to him. His face light up and a gloss came over his eyes; he took it in a hurry and blessed me with all his heart. Then the lights turned green, as we drove off I stared into the rear mirror curious to see what he was going to do next. He dashed off the streets to a safe spot where he sat and opened up the dinner box to eat. I wondered, how long has he gone without food? Has anyone ever thought of helping him out? How come no one even cared to hand him a drink? Whatever their reasons may be, I felt good to help someone less fortune than myself.

2 comments:

amourissima said...

Awww Chandara, that's so sweet of you. To put ourselves in someone else shoes can be a humbling experience.

You did a good thing.

chandara said...

I felt really good for doing what I did. Along time ago back in my highschool days - there was this homeless guy who I always gave my lunch too - I saw him the other day and he looked very thin and frail. Made me sad:( He's an old man.